Building and upgrading Synthmorph (also installing augments).

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Benny89 Benny89's picture
Building and upgrading Synthmorph (also installing augments).

I have a few questions about building new Synth. I know that Cornocopia Machine can make a Synth no problem. So:

My hacker obtained for me Guard Deluxe blueprints (stealing from Medusa Shield servers). We verified that blueprints are correct using Rep and Networking among Scientists (easy level 3 favor according to GM). Now it's time to build it.

1. So first question is: Guard synth comes with Synthethic Mask- how hard is to tell Cornocopia AI to simply skip it? Also- synthmorphs are build in hours, but Synthethic Mask is biological tissue, correct? So in theory- blueprint won't have it (RAW Guard) or you need some mix of Cornocopia and Med Vac to build Guard with Mask on it. I guess I could just get favour with a guy with High Hardware: Robotics and alert the blueprint (using my Hacker 90 Programming) to skip the Mask. But still I don't know if blueprints for synthmorphs with Masks would even have them included.

2. How do you install new upgrades to Synthmorphs? Like lets say I want to install Heavy Combat Armor and two extra limbs + Reflex Booster. Do I need to place myself inside Cornocopia Machine or Med Vac or something simillar. Or just a guy with high Hardware: Robotics in some sort of "Robotic Store and Services" place will be enough?

3. To get materials (or most) for new synthmorph, can I use my old Morph (steel) as feedstock?

4. From my understanding Synthmorphs are not that complicated things (apart from maybe Liquid Steel Morph)- they are fairly simple and can be made in hours so just standard feedstock should be enough for most synthmorphs- question is- how many standard feedstocks you think I should buy for one Guard Deluxe?

Thanks for help.

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
I don't think there is

I don't think there is anything official for the questions you are asking. Anything I offer is at best is educated guesses and my opinions. You've been warned.

1. Skipping hardware. This might depend on how critical the augment is for the morph. I should point out that blueprints give a 75% discount on most augments a morph can have (see morph creation rules). This should be the product of every effort made to keep the prices down, which probably includes other changes that might have been made with the assumption that augment x was going to be present.

Cortical stack and mesh inserts? I think they can be omitted without causing too much trouble. Synthetic Mask? Why not? You'd probably need a new skin to keep the dust out.

Synthetic Mask needs biological matter? Yes and no. I think synthetic mask can be made out of bio matter. It could also be fake synthetic skin that might be made out of silicon, except much much better quality. A dip in a healing vat for a few hours could add bio matter for skin.

I recall that there was a thread trying to figure out why making a biomorph took years while you could place a severed head inside a healing vat and get a new body in a few weeks. Their conclusion was that biological brains were hard to make. I'm getting off topic...

2. I don't think there is only one way to do this. Putting the synthmorph in a fabber would be the simplest way to upgrade it. Getting a guy with hardware skills and parts is another way. How you upgrade all depends on what you have to do it.

3. Yes. All fabbers have a means to break down materials for feed stock. I can't say that it'll cover all your feed stock needs.

4. ? Standard feed stocks? I'm under the impression that a synthmorph might need 60 kg of iron, 5 kg of silicon, 50 g of gold, etc. Or some other mix of materials. I haven't read of anything like "standard" feed stocks for synthmorphs.

Benny89 Benny89's picture
DivineWrath wrote:

DivineWrath wrote:

4. ? Standard feed stocks? I'm under the impression that a synthmorph might need 60 kg of iron, 5 kg of silicon, 50 g of gold, etc. Or some other mix of materials. I haven't read of anything like "standard" feed stocks for synthmorphs.

You can get almost everywhere feedstocks as per

"In most habitats, common feedstock is readily available. Most, if not all, of the habitat’s waste is scavenged for usable feedstock. When you throw your trash and discarded goods in the recycle, disassembler swarms reduce the components for re-use. In some habs, recycling will actually get a small credit bump, and in outer system habitats, recycling is a good way to keep your rep level by contributing your fair share back in to the system."

However there is no mention of how much of raw materials one unit of such feedstock provides and if it costs anything or it's just a common good to take.

Lazarus Lazarus's picture
For reasons of game balance

For reasons of game balance in my own game I simply used a shorthand that the feedstock required would be 1 resource level less than the object being fabricated. Thus, to fabricate something with a value of 'Expensive' you needed feedstock with a value of 'High'.

This is why an Expensive value synthmorph is Expensive in the first place. If it cost nearly nothing to fabricate a copy then the owner of the blueprint could fabricate and sell tens of thousands of them at a Moderate price and make more money than selling only a few hundred at Expensive. After all, the person fabricating it is only going to spend a few hours and they will still retain the blueprint and the ability to make more copies. What is essentially happening is they are paying the 1500-10000 cr feedstock cost which then sets a lower price point of the morph and limits the number of people who can buy them. They then tack on extra for their time, energy, and for owning the blueprint.

As for recycling, if you were recycling something of a similar nature and value (such as a high value synthmorph to make another high value synthmorph) I would knock down the value of ;'additional required feedstock' by another level (meaning if you recycled one expensive morph to build another expensive morph you would still need to get about 500-1500 credits of feedstock).

I should note that this absolutely is not in the rules. This is my own particular interpretation but it seems to work well. Blueprints are still incredibly valuable since you can build things for about 1/5th of the cost of purchasing them but there is a simple, logical reason why someone with the blueprints for a Reaper can't run off several hundred copies and build their own army.

My artificially intelligent spaceship is psychic. Your argument it invalid.

Benny89 Benny89's picture
Lazarus wrote:For reasons of

Lazarus wrote:
For reasons of game balance in my own game I simply used a shorthand that the feedstock required would be 1 resource level less than the object being fabricated. Thus, to fabricate something with a value of 'Expensive' you needed feedstock with a value of 'High'.

This is why an Expensive value synthmorph is Expensive in the first place. If it cost nearly nothing to fabricate a copy then the owner of the blueprint could fabricate and sell tens of thousands of them at a Moderate price and make more money than selling only a few hundred at Expensive. After all, the person fabricating it is only going to spend a few hours and they will still retain the blueprint and the ability to make more copies. What is essentially happening is they are paying the 1500-10000 cr feedstock cost which then sets a lower price point of the morph and limits the number of people who can buy them. They then tack on extra for their time, energy, and for owning the blueprint.

As for recycling, if you were recycling something of a similar nature and value (such as a high value synthmorph to make another high value synthmorph) I would knock down the value of ;'additional required feedstock' by another level (meaning if you recycled one expensive morph to build another expensive morph you would still need to get about 500-1500 credits of feedstock).

I should note that this absolutely is not in the rules. This is my own particular interpretation but it seems to work well. Blueprints are still incredibly valuable since you can build things for about 1/5th of the cost of purchasing them but there is a simple, logical reason why someone with the blueprints for a Reaper can't run off several hundred copies and build their own army.

Your stock value seems quite fair, I like it. Still gives a blueprint a huge value as you can build expensive items for 5k Credits, but at the same taking taking some resources so player needs to calculate something.

Benny89 Benny89's picture
Btw to not create another

Btw to not create another topic- what is max velocity of Synthmorph like Steel/Guard (Walker 4/20) in full chase speed? I have found velocities for jet pack (4/20 too)- 40 and for 20 for Servitor Robot (4/20). But problem is Thrust Pack is a light object and Servitor is clumbersome, service robot, not an nimble high-tech synthethic morph.

It seems there are no velocities stated for synthethic morphs in corebook.

Also I while we find a max Velocity for Synthethic morph- how to calculate a difference between max Velocity of standard Synthmorph vs Synthmorph with 40 SOM, 90 Freerunning skill and pneumatic + Telescopic limbs..... Becasue I bet a high SOM/Freerunning character can run faster than just average joe in synthethic morph.

So far I am assuming that average Synthmorph can have max velocity of 30 in full run, and specialist with high SOM, Freerunning and possibly Pneumatic limbs can take it to 40 Velocity. Biomorphs are 20 Velocity max, 30 with high SOM/Freerunning. What do you think?

Also there is damage for fall but why both Bio-Morphs and Synths should take same damage. Synths are way more durable and I don't think fall from 5m would do anything to them... Also 1d10 damage for fall from 1-2 meters? How could that even inflict damage to EP kind of morpth. Unless it's only when you "fall" like on your face or something. But then how to calcuate "drop with landing" from certain highs?

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
Read Movement on p. 190 in

Read Movement on p. 190 in the Core Rulebook. It says that for movement, the second number is the running speed. So with a walker (4/20), its max speed is 20 meters per turn. Thats 20 meters per 3 seconds. Thats 400 m per minute. 24 km/h. That's a number that is pretty consistent with world class athletes.

As for speeds for different augment load outs, there's no hard rules. Mobility Systems in Transhuman p. 218 kinda covers that. It offers guidelines and points out factors that might affect speed. A morph with multiple legs might run faster, while a heavily armored tank might be slower.

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
I recall a thread long ago

I recall a thread long ago that talked about features of what a blueprint might have. For instance, a blueprint for a knife. Its entirely possible that such a blueprint might only be capable of printing a simple knife. However, it could easily have other features to customize it, such as shapes and grooves, etchings, paint, etc. Or it could go even further, like having mesh inserts that will make a post on social media (such as the victim's) that this guy got stabbed by this dude.

The point I'm trying to make is its probably that a blueprint might have a range of options when it comes to customization. A corporation or organization is likely to have customization options to serve their needs.

There is nothing preventing (I think) that a blueprint having an AI. It might have interests [given blueprint] 80. Programing, interface, and research at 40, and so forth. AIs don't always have the best skills, so you might want to reduce them. Anyways, such an AI could upgrade the blueprint with features. By taking extra time, it could get a guaranteed success.

If you want to throw a curve ball, maybe reduce programing to 20 so at best can only get a target number of 80. Or maybe decide that the feature is complex and difficult so the AI suffers a penalty.

Benny89 Benny89's picture
DivineWrath wrote:Read

DivineWrath wrote:
Read Movement on p. 190 in the Core Rulebook. It says that for movement, the second number is the running speed. So with a walker (4/20), its max speed is 20 meters per turn. Thats 20 meters per 3 seconds. Thats 400 m per minute. 24 km/h. That's a number that is pretty consistent with world class athletes.

As for speeds for different augment load outs, there's no hard rules. Mobility Systems in Transhuman p. 218 kinda covers that. It offers guidelines and points out factors that might affect speed. A morph with multiple legs might run faster, while a heavily armored tank might be slower.

So I am noth good at math and things like that - so what is velocity? Also I think there should be a difference between 90 Freerunning character max speed and 20 SOM guy even if they have same morphs. What do you think?

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
Velocity? Distance traveled

Velocity? Distance traveled over a period of time? I don't know what you are asking. Do you need help to translate km/h to miles per hour?

As for increasing speed with freerunning, the book says that while sprinting, you may do a freerunning test to increase your speed. +1 meter for every mos, to a max of +5. Anything you want beyond that is probably house rules.

What do I think about egos affecting speed? Don't really care all that much. To a major extent, the fitness of a morph will affect what it can do. An unfit morph isn't going to be able to do much running (will become exhausted quickly), so a skilled ego isn't going to be able to do much. It also plays into the themes of the game, where you can replace your body as a piece of hardware. Can't move fast enough, try something with wheel, a jet engine, or even a rocket.