Morph Recognition Guide/card

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chernoborg Chernoborg's picture
Sysop- Where? You can't leave

Sysop- Where? You can't leave us hanging like that!

Urthdigger- Yeah that's the one. Didn't mean to oversell it.

Current Status: Highly Distracted building Gatecrashing systems in Universe Sandbox!

sysop sysop's picture
Oh I totally can... "Sysop"

Oh I totally can... "Sysop" isn't the only name I go by. ;)

I fix broken things. If you need something fixed, mention it on the suggestions board.
I also sometimes speak as website administrator and/ moderator.

TheGrue TheGrue's picture
Can't help but think the

Does the Q-morph description have a typo, or did the artist goof? The text says four legs but the picture has eight. EDIT: Ah, I see now; four legs, in addition to two pairs of arms. The bit about resembling "a four-legged crab" threw me. A four-legged crab with four additional arms would resemble, in my mind, an eight-legged crab; more commonly known as a crab.

Also, I have to wonder how someone reads "bony crest" for the Hyperbright and thinks "fish fins!"

Anyway, there's some great art here. I was hoping we'd finally get rid of the scantily-clad Martian alpiner though.

Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal.

CodeBreaker CodeBreaker's picture
TheGrue wrote:Also, I have to

TheGrue wrote:
Also, I have to wonder how someone reads "bony crest" for the Hyperbright and thinks "fish fins!"

I still have something more like this in my head. But, you know, not on a dinosaur.

-

TheGrue TheGrue's picture
CodeBreaker wrote:TheGrue

CodeBreaker wrote:
TheGrue wrote:
Also, I have to wonder how someone reads "bony crest" for the Hyperbright and thinks "fish fins!"

I still have something more like this in my head. But, you know, not on a dinosaur.

Sort of like a Minbari?

Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal.

Seekerofshadowlight Seekerofshadowlight's picture
I used this one , fan art of
LatwPIAT LatwPIAT's picture
Your artists show a

One of your artists shows a surprising lack of originality:

(left: Liquid Steel, Morph Recognition Guide. right: Excalibur, the most prominent frame in the game Warframe)

@-rep +2
C-rep +1

TheGrue TheGrue's picture
I don't see more than a

I don't see more than a passing resemblance myself.

Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal.

Seekerofshadowlight Seekerofshadowlight's picture
Same here, it reminds me more

Same here, it reminds me more of a T-1000 then anything.

lets adapt lets adapt's picture
The shape and patterning on

The shape and patterning on the arm is pretty similar.

MAD Crab MAD Crab's picture
Because the markings follow a

Because the markings follow a muscle group, I think.

Yeah, I think it's coincidence, myself.

RobBoyle RobBoyle's picture
TheGrue wrote: I was hoping

TheGrue wrote:
I was hoping we'd finally get rid of the scantily-clad Martian alpiner though.

Actually, we talked about this, but unfortunately it didn't happen due to an oversight on my part. We've never been happy with that piece either.

Rob Boyle :: Posthuman Studios

fellowhoodlum fellowhoodlum's picture
I had a dream this morning

I had a dream this morning that I was holding the hard copy in my hands. flipping through the page. Oh that new book smell....

(or maybe it's my subconscious telling me to get back to running this game...)

prototyper prototyper's picture
The ReMade

Why is it still purple?

kindalas kindalas's picture
Here is a revised version

Enjoy,

Kindalas

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

branford branford's picture
Kindalas,

Kindalas,

Good work. Now if you can only remove the gratuitous partial boob armor (unless, of course, I just missed the often overlooked and rarely used breast-seeking firearm rounds in the core). :)

Smokeskin Smokeskin's picture
I don't think that's armor.

I don't think that's armor.

kindalas kindalas's picture
All I did was add some

All I did was add some transparent black layers on top to de-skin her.

And MS paint to get rid of the belly button.

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

branford branford's picture
I was only be facetious. I

I was only be facetious. I do, however, believe both that Kindalas made the illustration much better and less sexist with only moderate effort and that the morph was drawn with boob armor.

lets adapt lets adapt's picture
As disagreeable that image is

As disagreeable that image is to some, I am kinda bummed out we're defacing someone else's art. If anything it should just be replaced outright, yeah?

*Edit: though I guess all's fair re: creative commons!

branford branford's picture
lets adapt wrote:As

lets adapt wrote:
As disagreeable that image is to some, I am kinda bummed out we're defacing someone else's art. If anything it should just be replaced outright, yeah?

*Edit: though I guess all's fair re: creative commons!

I think "deface" is far too strong a word and a little hyperbolic.

The original illustration has not been lost or irreparably damaged, and no copyright infringed or laws broken. A copy has simply been altered to make it fit for its intended purpose without any attempt at usurping ownership of the art or seeking commercial gain. Moreover, copies of illustrations and any other works of art, no matter how good or bad, are often altered for purposes of criticism, parody or improvement.

At worst, I view the altered image as a new and legal derivative piece of artwork that may, or may not, suit your tastes and preferences.

Seekerofshadowlight Seekerofshadowlight's picture
Overlook the horrid editing

Overlook the horrid editing,as it is not a skill I have. But something like this with her coat would have been great. And yeah the hand bra needs to die.

I guess the point is the core image itself is fine, it just really needed to lose the gun bunny underpants and put on some real cloths.

TheGrue TheGrue's picture
Especially as she's supposed

Especially as she's supposed to be walking around the martian highlands wearing that. I mean I know the morph has cold temp tolerance but still - I certainly hope armour bikinis are not standard Ranger issue.

Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal.

Seekerofshadowlight Seekerofshadowlight's picture
well, there is always porn.

well, there is always porn.

She may have come from a "Maritain rangers" porn shoot, which says more about the smoking baboon then I really want to get into. Other than that, I can't think of the armored bikini making a lick of sense

branford branford's picture
Seekerofshadowlight wrote

Seekerofshadowlight wrote:
well, there is always porn.

She may have come from a "Maritain rangers" porn shoot, which says more about the smoking baboon then I really want to get into. Other than that, I can't think of the armored bikini making a lick of sense

Hey, those Alpiner Genetic Service Packs aren't cheap, and Ranger pay is not exactly generous. So, who are we to judge if a independent woman chooses to pose for the Hot Morphs of Elysium yearly calendar shoot to pay the bills? Not me.

As for the smoking baboon, well it's EP and the future so . . ., eh . . ., how about that Jovian Republic . . .

Smokeskin Smokeskin's picture
Seekerofshadowlight wrote

Seekerofshadowlight wrote:
well, there is always porn.

She may have come from a "Maritain rangers" porn shoot, which says more about the smoking baboon then I really want to get into. Other than that, I can't think of the armored bikini making a lick of sense

If she's supposed to go fighting or hiking in that, that's ridiculous.

But it's not porn wear either. I always thought of the Martian outback as having a frontier vibe - she's just come off duty and going to a bar to wind down over a couple of whiskey shots. She's dumped her thermal body armor in the wardrobe but brings the rifle, because that's what you do in these parts and you don't want any of the rednecks getting the wrong idea either. The baboon is chilling too, with its cigar. The whole picture has an off-duty vibe to me, and in a future version of a wild west saloon, it would fit right in.

If you take the flat, fury and hibernoid entries, they aren't dressed for action either.

branford branford's picture
Smokeskin wrote

Smokeskin wrote:
Seekerofshadowlight wrote:
well, there is always porn.

She may have come from a "Maritain rangers" porn shoot, which says more about the smoking baboon then I really want to get into. Other than that, I can't think of the armored bikini making a lick of sense

If she's supposed to go fighting or hiking in that, that's ridiculous.

But it's not porn wear either. I always thought of the Martian outback as having a frontier vibe - she's just come off duty and going to a bar to wind down over a couple of whiskey shots. She's dumped her thermal body armor in the wardrobe but brings the rifle, because that's what you do in these parts and you don't want any of the rednecks getting the wrong idea either. The baboon is chilling too, with its cigar. The whole picture has an off-duty vibe to me, and in a future version of a wild west saloon, it would fit right in.

If you take the flat, fury and hibernoid entries, they aren't dressed for action either.

The issue, at least to me, is the stereotypically sexist, and entirely useless, "steel bikini" that has plagued the pages of role-playing games since the dawn of the hobby. Given the fairly progressive nature of Posthuman Studies and the EP universe, its inclusion in Sunward, and now the MRG, was surprising and a little disappointing. The flat, fury and hibernoid illustrations do show skin, but not in nearly the same "gun bunny" manner as the Martian alpiner. Even the picture of the pleasure pod, where a prurient vibe would be expected, is less inherently sexualized and cliche than the apliner.

I have no objection to the quality of the artwork or the artist, only its inclusion in EP. Since the artist obviously has talent, it would have been far more appropriate and evocative if he simply finished drawing the alpiner's armor. :)

Smokeskin Smokeskin's picture
I'm sort of in the opposite

I'm sort of in the opposite camp, tbh. In EP, almost everyone is sleeved in a handsome morph with a brain chemistry that makes them happy, many places are either nearly devoid of taboos or at least a lot more open-minded than today, everyone has smart clothing that can look like whatever they want.

Today, we have spornosexual men, slut walks and fitspo selfies - where's all of that? Where's all the people having fun and strutting their stuff? Wouldn't the developments in EP give us more of that, just like today we see a lot more sexualized behavior than 100 years ago?

I get why it isn't depicted - it's in the text, but EP is a horror survival setting and I guess artwork really sets the tone. So slice of life stuff has to take a backseat.

Leng Plateau Leng Plateau's picture
Smokeskin wrote:Today, we

Smokeskin wrote:
Today, we have spornosexual men, slut walks and fitspo selfies - where's all of that? Where's all the people having fun and strutting their stuff?

You are aware that the point of slutwalks is not about "having fun and strutting your stuff" right?
To quote wikipedia's intro on the issue:
"SlutWalk is a transnational movement of protest marches which began on April 3, 2011, in Toronto, Ontario, with subsequent rallies occurring globally. Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance, and call for an end to rape culture. The rallies began after Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that "women should avoid dressing like sluts" as a precaution against unwanted sexual attention."

In short, really bad, really dismissive example.

At least with Lovecraft, nobody pretends the gods are nice. And wherever you end up, there is guaranteed to be tentacles.

branford branford's picture
Smokeskin wrote:I'm sort of

Smokeskin wrote:
I'm sort of in the opposite camp, tbh. In EP, almost everyone is sleeved in a handsome morph with a brain chemistry that makes them happy, many places are either nearly devoid of taboos or at least a lot more open-minded than today, everyone has smart clothing that can look like whatever they want.

Today, we have spornosexual men, slut walks and fitspo selfies - where's all of that? Where's all the people having fun and strutting their stuff? Wouldn't the developments in EP give us more of that, just like today we see a lot more sexualized behavior than 100 years ago?

I get why it isn't depicted - it's in the text, but EP is a horror survival setting and I guess artwork really sets the tone. So slice of life stuff has to take a backseat.

For the most part, I do not disagree with you about sexual mores or taboos, both contemporary and in the EP setting. Posthuman has also embraced such openness, particularly with humor like "Momo von Satan and The Cock" in Rimward.

However, viewing the alpiner illustration in context engenders a different response. The "steel bikini" art is a highly sexist trope that has made female role-players uncomfortable and unwelcome for years. Most RPG companies have recently tried to avoid such objectifying cliches and portray, both in text and artwork, strong women and liberated women, most notably with armor actually capable of protecting vital organs.

Posthuman is a very progressive company, and I was surprised that they would choose this particular piece of art to illustrate a morph that has no clear sexual overtones. Unlike a sexual morph like the pleasure pod, the excess skin and overt and gratuitous female sexual objectification adds no depth, color or background to the alpiner morph or the presumed Martian ranger depicted in the art.

lets adapt lets adapt's picture
branford wrote:

branford wrote:

The issue, at least to me, is the stereotypically sexist, and entirely useless, "steel bikini" that has plagued the pages of role-playing games since the dawn of the hobby. Given the fairly progressive nature of Posthuman Studies and the EP universe, its inclusion in Sunward, and now the MRG, was surprising and a little disappointing. The flat, fury and hibernoid illustrations do show skin, but not in nearly the same "gun bunny" manner as the Martian alpiner. Even the picture of the pleasure pod, where a prurient vibe would be expected, is less inherently sexualized and cliche than the apliner.

I have no objection to the quality of the artwork or the artist, only its inclusion in EP. Since the artist obviously has talent, it would have been far more appropriate and evocative if he simply finished drawing the alpiner's armor. :)

And I agree with this! My initial reaction was a bit knee jerky, I will admit. I've experienced these sort of situations play out with a tone that stunk of censorship and that's what influenced my outlook. Upon reflecting further about the issue I have moved from 'sort of bummed' to 'indifferent'; editing the picture is really no different than adding house rule addendums to the core rulebook, in this context. Sorry for the slight derail!

Starkiller Starkiller's picture
Sort off

While the objectification of women is condemnable in every form, raging against every piece of art which does not meet a "standard" according to me is a bit too extreme, ok it shows a lot of skin but reading some posts its seems to me that a single image has damaged somehow the entire guide which is not the case.

kindalas kindalas's picture
We have made a

We have made a full thread derail.

Unfortunately I'm 90% responsible for it.

Maybe 95%

So we should make an art thread in the discussion section.

Kindalas

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

branford branford's picture
Starkiller wrote:While the

Starkiller wrote:
While the objectification of women is condemnable in every form, raging against every piece of art which does not meet a "standard" according to me is a bit too extreme, ok it shows a lot of skin but reading some posts its seems to me that a single image has damaged somehow the entire guide which is not the case.

Respectfully, I've neither stated nor implied any such thing. I most certainly was not "raging," do not expect Posthuman to meet any purity standard, no less mine, and offered no opinion concerning either book containing the picture.

I, among others, was simply surprised that Posthuman chose this one illustration given the history and RPG implications of the "steel bikini." I still find both Sumward and the MRG excellent products that I thoroughly enjoy, regardless of this one piece of art.

Notably, as Rob Boyle stated in post #63 in this thread, Posthuman apparently also has regrets about this illustration.

Smokeskin Smokeskin's picture
Leng Plateau wrote:

Leng Plateau wrote:

You are aware that the point of slutwalks is not about "having fun and strutting your stuff" right?
To quote wikipedia's intro on the issue:
"SlutWalk is a transnational movement of protest marches which began on April 3, 2011, in Toronto, Ontario, with subsequent rallies occurring globally. Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance, and call for an end to rape culture. The rallies began after Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that "women should avoid dressing like sluts" as a precaution against unwanted sexual attention."

In short, really bad, really dismissive example.

It seems to me more women are not just dressing like they want, many are even demonstrating for their and other women's right to "strut their stuff". If you consider the context too sensitive, then perhaps it was an inappropriate example. My point was merely that both male and female behavior and dress is becoming more sexualized and it is gaining wider and wider acceptance, not to imply anything else.

Chernoborg Chernoborg's picture
If it hasn't gone to the

If it hasn't gone to the printers yet , I'll happily wait as long as it takes if you want to change the picture :)

Current Status: Highly Distracted building Gatecrashing systems in Universe Sandbox!

Smokeskin Smokeskin's picture
Haha, you guys are so twisted

Haha, you guys are so twisted :)

Das Frettchen: It gets weirder. I know oligarchs that collect flats. Yes, that’s right, original born-on-Earth skins are quickly becoming collector items. Especially if they are in mint condition. Interestingly, non-rejuvenated bodies that have aged well are picking up a considerable price tag.

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
I don't suppose there is any

I don't suppose there is any hope that we might get a table for neutral traits? I still think that one should exist. Many morphs in the morph recognition guide do have them. While both positive and negative traits might be looked up more, I think that neutral traits will get looked up as well. I have looked up neutral traits on a few occasions (and I'm annoyed that there isn't a table for them in this book).

I think there would be room for such a table on p. 126 . The only thing there is a picture for a Skulker morph (far away from where the morph is mentioned). I don't know why it is there. Its like the only picture in the book that isn't shown beside its corresponding morph (aside from the pictures on the cover and beginning of book).

----

On a side note, the text beside the morph doesn't list the right page number (or link to the right page). Swarmariod variants are on p. 101 , not p. 113 . If you decide to keep the image instead of putting the table I'm asking for, then you might want to fix that.

Also, the tables start on p. 124 not p. 126 . You might want to fix the bookmarks so clicking the table bookmark starts on the right page.

ORCACommander ORCACommander's picture
gota be careful about page

gota be careful about page numbers. adobe acrobat if the pdf is properly put together will not count the cover as page 1

hazemyth hazemyth's picture
Free Distribution

Any chance that this will get seeded as a torrent? I'd like to look at in depth before making a call. I already own all the books, so I gather there won't be much new material for me. Want to see if it excites me enough to shell out the money, anyway.

And I get the advantage of having all the info in one resource -- but it seems like that selling point is shot the minute you come out with new books (and new morphs).

kindalas kindalas's picture
hazemyth wrote:Any chance

hazemyth wrote:
Any chance that this will get seeded as a torrent? I'd like to look at in depth before making a call. I already own all the books, so I gather there won't be much new material for me. Want to see if it excites me enough to shell out the money, anyway.

And I get the advantage of having all the info in one resource -- but it seems like that selling point is shot the minute you come out with new books (and new morphs).

There will be no more morphs.

According to twitter months ago 120-140 (depending on how you count) is enough.

kindalas

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

hazemyth hazemyth's picture
kindalas wrote:There will be

kindalas wrote:
There will be no more morphs.

According to twitter months ago 120-140 (depending on how you count) is enough.

Oh, crazy. Don't follow on Twitter. Had no idea.

I mean, I totally agree that there are enough morphs to cover the game but every full-size book so far has included a morph, so that's kinda surprising.

kindalas kindalas's picture
hazemyth wrote:kindalas wrote

hazemyth wrote:
kindalas wrote:
There will be no more morphs.

According to twitter months ago 120-140 (depending on how you count) is enough.

Oh, crazy. Don't follow on Twitter. Had no idea.

I mean, I totally agree that there are enough morphs to cover the game but every full-size book so far has included a morph, so that's kinda surprising.

Well I wouldn't put it past them to include morph variants since the next book is the Argonauts book or Firewall (depending on how you count) as both groups are fans of morphological freedom.

But that's just a bit of spice rather then some new ingredients.

Kindalas

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

teroks teroks's picture
Is this available HC or soft

Is this available HC or soft cover? I don't like to buy pdfs.

kindalas kindalas's picture
teroks wrote:Is this

teroks wrote:
Is this available HC or soft cover? I don't like to buy pdfs.

Hard Cover

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

teroks teroks's picture
I have several EP books, but

I have several EP books, but I cannot a place to buy this as HC.

jackgraham jackgraham's picture
hazemyth wrote:kindalas wrote

hazemyth wrote:
kindalas wrote:
There will be no more morphs.

According to twitter months ago 120-140 (depending on how you count) is enough.

Oh, crazy. Don't follow on Twitter. Had no idea.

I mean, I totally agree that there are enough morphs to cover the game but every full-size book so far has included a morph, so that's kinda surprising.

Kindalas speaks sooth. We're on a morphatorium right now.

I mean, 120+ races? That's like, Palladium territory. :)

J A C K   G R A H A M :: Hooray for Earth!
  http://eclipsephase.com :: twitter @jackgraham @faketsr :: Google+Jack Graham

TheGrue TheGrue's picture
jackgraham wrote:hazemyth

jackgraham wrote:
hazemyth wrote:
kindalas wrote:
There will be no more morphs.

According to twitter months ago 120-140 (depending on how you count) is enough.

Oh, crazy. Don't follow on Twitter. Had no idea.

I mean, I totally agree that there are enough morphs to cover the game but every full-size book so far has included a morph, so that's kinda surprising.

Kindalas speaks sooth. We're on a morphatorium right now.

I mean, 120+ races? That's like, Palladium territory. :)

Morphs aren't races, they're gear. :P

Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal.

UrbanMonkey UrbanMonkey's picture
Out of curiosity, is there

Out of curiosity, is there going to be a Hack Pack for the MRG?

nerol-1 nerol-1's picture
Any news about the cards

Is there any news about the morph cards, please?
Me and my Firewall sentinells love the Morph R. G. and the cards would be a great game tool.
Thanks
Luca

il NeRo
www.sentinellefirewall.blogspot.it
The blog about the adventures of 4 Italian Sentinels

Pages