So I wrote up a little side-scenario to help show what I think life is like in the PC, but it turns out my group has no interest in the themes so I'll probably never run it. Therefore, I thought I'd share it here.
It's a bit light on red herrings and intrigue because it was supposed to be a sideplot I could plug into a campaign rather than a fully independent piece - I hope that isn't too much of a drawback.
I hope to hear what you all think :D
The Basics; The group are approached by a man named Phillipe Delacoure on behalf of a Brothel owner he knows. One of their regular patrons has gone missing, and the group are hired to discover their fate.
- Twist 1 - The patron is an Alpha Fork of one of the indentured workers. The brothel allows all it's workers to create a Fork in order to seek additional employment to pay off their contract.
- Twist 2 – The patron has been kidnapped by one of the Brothel's business rivals, who seeks to discover the source of the Brothel's success.
- Twist 3 - Phillipe Delacoure is a low level Oversight agent, nominally tasked with providing confidential licensing for controlled technologies.
- Gameplay notes.
The player's success throughout the scenario is measured through three counters;
[Alert] measures how blatant the group is during their investigation, and influences the the state of the antagonists during the climax.
[Delay] keeps track of how much time the group 'wastes' during the investigation, and determines the condition of the Fork at the end of the scenario.
[Evidence] is increased by uncovering proof of Foul Play and learning what transpired. The players' rewards are determined by this counter.
- Four Weeks Earlier - Bethari van Haitsma becomes aware of the Jasmine Garden's unusual success, and begins searching for candidate to find out it's origin. She contacts Les Ghoules to hire a crew.
- Three Weeks Earlier - Bethari locates Rowan as a potential Target and begins observation.
- Two Weeks Earlier - Bethari arranges for Rowan to receive passes for the Luminosity Lounge.
- 10 Days Earlier - Rowan visits the Jasmin Garden, goes to the Luminosity lLounge and meets Bethari van Haitsma. The observation is stepped up.
- 9 Days Earlier - Rowan becomes nervous due to irregularity in his mesh presense and daily routine. He orders a Nanoswarm to monitor himself, and requests a Grimoir from Berlin.
- 5 Days earlier – Rowan is abducted from the Universidade de São Paulo library.
- 1 Day earlier – Coraline Melati contacts Philippe Philippe Delacoure
“You have been contacted by a man named Phillipe Delacoure, regarding a job in Noctis-Qianjiao.
He asks that you make your way to a brothel/lounge named “The Jasmine Garden” and talk to the proprietor “Coralline Melati”, who has a problem she needs solved."
Phillipe is willing to cover any travel expenses required, so long as you agree to hear Coralline out and consider her request. Should you then accept the job, and complete it successfully, he will reward you to the sum of 7000cr per head, with a bonus for good work.
In the past we've had to compensate for weaknesses, finding quick solutions that only benefit a few.
But what if we never need to feel weak or morally conflicted again?