Thoughts, what would happen if...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
PhishStyx PhishStyx's picture
Thoughts, what would happen if...

The name of a member of the Hypercorp Council were released. Just the threat of this seems potentially devastating for the hypercorp involved.

AllTooHuman AllTooHuman's picture
Depends

I suppose if corporations are the height of saturday morning cartoon villainy in your campaign, then the good guys would probably set about murdering them, like good guys oft do. Of course, these ultimate non-terrorist heroes would need to find all forks, back ups, etc. and destroy those at nearly the same time, for the greater good of course. Additionally, if the corporation was nepotistic, these paradigms of goodness would also want to murder that evil man's children, for the greater good. I assume, of course, that the supervillain engaged in bringing low cost goods (you know, because competition and Smith's unseen hand) to the masses and developing new products which made their consumer's lives better (because, well... selling stuff that makes life worse isn't very profitable). Therefore a diverse group of transhumans would not only be justified in such a murder, but anyone would agree they would also have a moral imparitave to do so, for the greater good.

Of course, if you really wanted him to suffer, you could force his ego into a space whale... for the greater good.

Darkening Kaos Darkening Kaos's picture
... or ...

… a space-goldfish, if you really want to push your point home.

Your definition of horror is meaningless to me.......
I. Am. A Bay12'er.

PhishStyx PhishStyx's picture
Sigh

AllTooHuman wrote:
I suppose if corporations are the height of saturday morning cartoon villainy

This cuts a little close to ad hom for my taste & does so for no reason that I can see. Care to explain?

Quote:
(because, well... selling stuff that makes life worse isn't very profitable).
.

Where did you get THAT idea?
AllTooHuman AllTooHuman's picture
Obviously

Well, you were asking about releasing the name of a hypercorp exec, so I figured you were asking what would happen. In EP, I believe my answer is correct; an assassination attempt would follow. In EP, hypercorps are portrayed as the ultimate evil entities next to the TITANs.

I suppose I'm too moderate to be all in on one side of the debate or the other. I agree that corporations can be inherently selfish, but I don't agree that executives wake up from dreams of consumer slaves to plot how to destroy humanity. There are some corporations who perhaps meddle too much in politics, such as most social media tech giants, and some who price gouge such as big pharma and big oil (although for the latter I blame the lobby industry more than anyone). But aside from those bad bad actors, successful corporations exist due to consumerism, which is to say that people choose to spend their money on the products developed by said corporations. Anti-trust laws and similar are supposed to keep monopolies from occurring so consumers have choice in their purchases (though lobbyists can buy a government blind eye to this). But again, most companies and corporations only get to be successful by selling things people want to purchase for a competitive price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some far right nut job, I know there are problems with corporations, but I'm also not some left wing nut job either who blames all of corporate America for all of society's woes.

If you really want to know my thoughts on various subjects, feel free to ask more questions. I gave you a perfectly reasonable answer for the game setting as written in 1e, where hypercorps are cartoonishly evil and somehow still turn a profit. It is an RPG with themes which include political strife, therefore in such a setting the logical outcome of identifying a villain is that someone tries to murder them.

Are you saying that your players would instead perhaps just shame the guy on social media, or stage a peaceful demonstration? Of course not. I really don't understand why you seem to take issue with my response.

sysop sysop's picture
Because it reads like mocking

Because it reads like mocking sarcasm.

If that wasn't your intent, you might wanna work on that.

I fix broken things. If you need something fixed, mention it on the suggestions board.
I also sometimes speak as website administrator and/ moderator.

AllTooHuman AllTooHuman's picture
sysop wrote:Because it reads

sysop wrote:
Because it reads like mocking sarcasm.

If that wasn't your intent, you might wanna work on that.

Hmmm.... I don't see the mocking part, but sarcasm and I do go way back. I suppose I could be more diplomatic in mentioning things which have a political nature and will endeavor to do so in the future. It is probably best in these divided times that a moderator steps in whenever a divisive issue is broached, so thank you for your efforts. I will bow out of this topic now and see what others suggest would happen in regards to the OP's query.

kindalas kindalas's picture
Hypercorp Council Memberships

PhishStyx wrote:
The name of a member of the Hypercorp Council were released. Just the threat of this seems potentially devastating for the hypercorp involved.

I think that it really depends on each Hypercorp. I feel like some of the corps would have celebrity ish members while others would be extra secretive.

If a secretive corp's board membership came out I could see it going very badly for the individuals. Not so much as a series of assassination attempts but as people scramble to to secure themselves and as the various stockmarkets in the inner system adjust to the news especially if the these people sit on other corp's boards.

Kindalas

I am a Moderator of this Forum
My mod voice is red.

The Eclipse Phase Character sheet is downloadable here:
Get it here!

PhishStyx PhishStyx's picture
kindalas wrote:PhishStyx

kindalas wrote:
PhishStyx wrote:
The name of a member of the Hypercorp Council were released. Just the threat of this seems potentially devastating for the hypercorp involved.

I think that it really depends on each Hypercorp. I feel like some of the corps would have celebrity ish members while others would be extra secretive.

If a secretive corp's board membership came out I could see it going very badly for the individuals. Not so much as a series of assassination attempts but as people scramble to to secure themselves and as the various stockmarkets in the inner system adjust to the news especially if the these people sit on other corp's boards.

Kindalas

That's just about the kind of thing that I was thinking.
I'm glad to see that I'm on the same page as someone else here.