The Roleplaying Game Of Transhuman Survival
Eclipse Phase is a detailed science-fiction exploration of uncertain futures. It investigates the nature of transhumanity as it transforms itself, physically and mentally, into something posthuman. It balances the immense dangers of advanced technologies with a vision of how we can negate these risks and enhance our capabilities to improve and prosper as a species.
Transhumanity stands on the terminus of evolution and extinction. With the ability to upload our minds and nanofabricate almost anything, death and scarcity were nearly defeated. Then a war against super-intelligent AIs infected with an alien virus wiped out 95% of the population. Earth is a ruined wasteland, overrun by machines. The remnants of transhumanity—bio-engineered humans, uplifted animals, and infolife—expanded throughout the Solar System. The AIs left behind a network of wormhole gates that we now use to explore and occupy distant exoplanets. A new cabal of hypercorps and oligarchs seek to preserve outmoded political and economic systems, while patchwork factions of radical scientists and techno-anarchists experiment with new social models, from each according to their imagination and to each according to their need.
- The default campaign places characters as agents of Firewall, a secretive conspiracy that works to save transhumanity from existential threats, or “x-risks.”
- The setting is custom-built for other campaign styles, from high-tech criminal operations or faction-based political intrigues to the dangerous exploration of alien worlds via wormhole gates.
- Populated with an eclectic assortment of intriguing factions, including undying hyper-elites, insurgent Martians, soul-trading cartels, rebel scientists, body- and mind-hacking hedonists, and outer-system anarchists.
- An omnipresent threat of extinction lurks in the form of runaway nanotech, alien viruses, super-empowered sociopaths, rogue psychics, god-like AIs, posthuman extremists, and other dangers.
- A galaxy suspiciously littered with the remains of dead civilizations and physics-breaking technologies provides a dash of cosmic horror.
- To read more, check out our introductory fiction pieces, Infamy and Lack, or jump to the full setting section of our wiki!
Eclipse Phase uses a variant d100/percentile system with some twists.
- Characters switch their bodies—called a morphs—at will. Choose from genetically-modified transhumans, synthetic robotic shells, uplifted animals, or digital infomorphs, optimizing your capabilities for specific missions.
- Your character’s mind and memories are backed up and can be restored if you die—a built-in system of “save points” and functional immortality.
- Characters are skill-based, with no classes, so players can customize their team roles and specialize in fields of their choosing.
- A package-buy system enables quick character creation and customization while also defining elements of your character’s background.
- Gear and morph tracking is simplified with the use of gear packs and points for each mission.